Steampunk Machine Age Aviation Lamp instrument Control Panel Air Plane #CC22 - SOLD
Aviation Instrument Control panel Lamp
- The instruments used in this lamp came mostly from salvaged F4 Phantom jets used during the Vietnam War era.
- The frame for this lamp is black iron pipe, and salvaged gears from old farm tractors. This gives the lamp a machine age look. The aviation feature panel has gauges that would typically be used in fighter jets post machine age.
- During the Vietnam War, the F-4 was used extensively; it served as the principal air superiority fighter for both the Navy and Air Force, and became important in the ground reconnaissance roles late in the war.
- Located on the bottom right of the panel is a military UHF communications receiver-transmitter control unit. Prior to take off on flight missions, a pilot would select his communications channel frequency, which was assigned by air traffic operations. A common emergency channel frequency selection of 243.0 MHz was for military use, also known as Military Air Distress (MAD) or UHF Guard.
- Located on the bottom left of the panel is an F4 military IFF transponder control panel. IFF was used by military flight operations to determine if a target plane was friendly. (Identification-Friend-or Foe). A military secret code was installed and changed every day in ground operations and also into the flying aircraft. The ground secondary radar would interrogate a subject target plane with coded mode 2 electronic pulses, and if the target plane responded back with the proper code for the day it could be determined if the target was friendly.
- Included with this lamp is a 60W antique vintage style bulb; any standard size medium bulb will work.
- Located on back side of this lamp is a variable intensity dimmer control, which adjusts the vintage style bulb for desired light level output. This dimmer is also a push on - push off for power control.
- Lamp weigh is 28.3 lbs. H= 21.5”, W= 16”, D= 12”
- Rubber tip protectors are secured to supporting feet to help protect the surface upon which this lamp sets.
- Heavy duty 8 ft power cord has grounded plug with 3 conductors.
- Electrical wiring within lamp consists of 16 AWG aviation mil spec grade silver plated copper with Teflon insulation for durability.
- All Lamp surfaces are grounded for safety, all wiring is securely clamped, protected, and meets safety standards.